Monday, April 2, 2012

A humble leader and time with God

Two things especially stood out to me in today's readings. The first:
"he shall bring forth justice to the nations,
Not crying out, not shouting,
not making his voice heard in the street."

This depicts a quiet, humble leadership. It conjures up thoughts of loud evangelists screaming about repenting for our sins, or those people who stand outside of abortion clinics condemning the women who enter. In yesterday's entry, I wrote of how "a word to rouse the people" was appealing to me, and while this verse seems like it contradicts that one, I don't think it needs to. I think you can speak humbly and say things that inspire and encourage other people and rouse their spirits. Jesus did this. In all of the gospels, whenever he corrects a sinner, he speaks humbly and patiently, but honestly. And that brings me to the second part that stood out to me:

"You always have the poor with you, but you do not always have me."

Wow. Did Jesus just say that? Well, yes. He said it to Judas because he knew Judas' deceitful intentions, He wasn't saying that we shouldn't help the poor. However, I do think He was also calling to attention the fact that, without prayer, charitable works are lacking. We should always strive to help others, and I think atheists can be great people who love to help others, too. But a large part of being a Christian who helps others is to root all of our acts in a love for God. We come to love Him through getting to know Him in prayer. Therefore, spending time with Jesus is essential to serving others.
I think Jesus was definitely rebuking Judas for what he said, but I don't think it was in a "crying out shouting" kind of way. I think he was trying to express the importance of the Mary's actions and was probably frustrated by Judas' greed (and approaching betrayal). The Jesus in John's gospel seems more short-tempered than the Jesus depicted in some of the other gospels. Nonetheless, He is not angrily calling out Judas right there on the spot for being a greedy sinner. Instead, He corrects him by re-focusing on what is important, not on the mistake that was made. That's an amazing skill that I, for one, really need to practice. Gosh, we can learn so much about how to have better communication and relationships through Jesus' example.

Lord, thank You for Your amazing example of someone who lovingly calls us to something greater. Thank You for desiring time with us, and help us to desire that time, too, even when we are busy. Help us also to be humble leaders, as You were. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment