Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Who's will is it anyway?

"I cannot do anything on my own;
I judge as I hear, and my judgment is just,
because I do not seek my own will
but the will of the one who sent me."

This is what Jesus says in the gospel of John. Do we have this kind of attitude? I think so many of us have an attitude of self-sufficiency. "I don't need help, I got it. I can handle it." There's nothing wrong with being responsible for your own share of work. I believe that we're called to fulfill our obligations. However, how about those things that we can't do alone? The things we shouldn't do alone? Such as planning our lives, making those big decisions about careers, marriage or religious life, where we're going to live. How about when we're weighed down with a million other things and we can't give ourselves completely to a task, and we really should ask for help with it...but pride gets in the way?

I have a hard time delegating to others because I'm afraid the work won't get done. So I think that's where the old testament reading comes in:
"But Zion said, "The LORD has forsaken me;
my Lord has forgotten me."
Can a mother forget her infant,
be without tenderness for the child of her womb?
Even should she forget,
I will never forget you."

We can trust God, because He won't fall through on us. He will never forget our needs or let us down.
So what does trusting God have to do with anything?

Well, the more we trust God, the more likely we are to do His will. To WANT His will. If we truly trusted that His will for us is better than our will for ourselves, and let go of our desire (need?) to control, we just might seek out His will a little more. Then we, too, can say, as Jesus said, "I do not seek my own will, but the will of the one who sent me." And this will lead us to the greatest happiness we can ever hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment