In the old testament reading for today, God heals a leper. We hear of God's healing power a lot, yet I know that I personally wonder where it is in action today. With so many people dying of horrible diseases, I wonder, "When is it God's will to cure someone, and when is it not?"
Well, I am beginning to realize that God always heals, even if he does not cure. For example, recently (since break began, actually), I have experienced a tremendous reduction of back pain. This is something I have been praying about for a long time, and have recruited multiple prayer partners for, as well. I feel that I have been given this bout of relief while healing from my wisdom teeth surgery, and so I could also enjoy time with my friend who is visiting from St. Louis. I think the change in weather might have something to do with it, but I definitely believe that God is involved. However, my back is not cured. My disc is still bulging, and I continue to have pain when I walk for long periods of time. I will probably always have recurring periods of debilitating back pain. However, God has granted me periods of relief, of healing.
God also heals emotionally, from wounds of the past. He heals us emotionally when we struggle with issues that will not go away, by helping us accept our circumstances. I struggle with acceptance a LOT, but I have found that, through praying for it, I have come to accept some of the difficult circumstances of my life. I have come to accept that back pain is a part of my life, and while sometimes might be more difficult to deal with than others, I am not angry about the situation. That is emotional healing.
In a previous post, I mentioned God working through other people. I think of that as another kind of healing. That kind of support makes the cross a little lighter - even Jesus had Simon. So they bring another form of emotional and psychological healing. I think God also "heals" those people of their own pride or any struggles they might have, so that they can generously give to others.
Lord, I am so grateful for the healing I have experienced in various ways. Please help me to always turn to you in those difficult moments, and to continue to experience your healing grace. Help me also to be a loving presence to those who need healing. Amen.
I'm glad to know that you are more accepting of the cross you bear that is your back. Hopefully we will find something that will relieve it entirely, but not being angry about it when it happens is a good start.
ReplyDelete